Having a warm creamy soup is like having warm hugs especially during this cold month of July. But in the spirit of healthy eating, we’d like to offer a great recipe for the most comforting soup, using ingredients that almost cut down the usual calorie count into half. So let’s go cook light and soup up!
- Prep Time: 5m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 10m
- Category: Dinner
- 10 large sized, plump and ripe tomatoes, chopped, seeds removed
- A drizzle of sesame oil
- 5 stalks basil, chop the leaves and separate the stalk
- 50 g Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind
- 2 c unsalted chicken stock
- 1 stalk leek, thinly sliced, diagonally
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- 2 medium shallots or onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, shallots or onion, fresh oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and freshly ground black pepper corn and toss. Arrange mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 45 minutes or until caramelised. Bring the pan out of the oven and let is stand.
- Put the pot over medium heat, pour the remaining olive oil and swirl it to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the leeks and mix. Then, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 8 minutes or until the leeks are slightly caramelised. After that, add the baked tomato mixture into the pan, mix and let stand for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, cheese rind and basil leaves and stem. Season with salt and stir. Let the mixture simmer.
- Let the mixture simmer about 15 minutes. Occasionally stir until liquid is slightly reduced.
- Remove and discard the cheese rind and basil stems.
- Place soup in a blender, blend until smooth.
- Pour into soup bowls and drizzle with sesame oil.