If you’ve ever wondered how to make lasagna low carb, then this recipe is for you! This yummy alternative switches the pasta for eggplant slices, check out to recipe below.
Lasagna is all about layering, and it is this ease of layering that allows us to get creative with the ingredients that we can use to enjoy healthier versions of this classic comfort food. It’s hard enough to find the time to exercise and train for fitness, and it’s equally hard to find the time to prepare nutritious and filling meals. With only 15-minutes cooking time, this lasagna is a great recipe to have on hand. So let’s get started cooking. First, we focus on making the sauce.
If you prefer, you can make a large batch of sauce ahead of time, find a healthy bottle of passata or use leftover spaghetti sauce.
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 45m
- Serves: 4
- Category: Dinner
For the Sauce
- 2 c Cans chopped or crushed tomatoes
- 3 Cloves Fresh garlic, crushed or thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 1 Sprig of fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the filling
- 2 Eggplants, sliced
- 1/2 c Cottage cheese
- 1 c Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c Fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 c Fresh basil, chopped
For the Sauce
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius while working on your sauce
- Sauté garlic in olive oil until brown in a sauce pan on the stove
- Add the crushed tomatoes
- Add your seasonings - the pepper, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture until it comes to a simmer.
- Gently stir in a sprig of fresh basil.
- Let simmer for 15 minute or until the mixture is reduced to your desired thickness.
- Once done, carefully remove the basil sprig and set aside.
- Layer the bottom of your baking dish with sauce so the lasagna will not stick to the pan.
- Arrange sliced eggplants at the bottom of the dish. Make sure that the bottom of the dish is layered with thinly sliced eggplants - the same way you do with the pasta sheets.
- Get your cottage cheese and sprinkle bits of it to the corners and on top of the eggplant layer. You can either use your hands or your fork to create a layer of cottage cheese on top of the eggplant.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese. This is the cheese that will give your lasagna it\'s gooey and stringy cheese filling.
- Cover your cheese with a layer of chopped fresh spinach. Then, sprinkle some chopped basil to give it an extra kick of flavour.
- Repeat until you have worked through the depth of your baking dish.
- The top layer should be a layer of sauce that is sprinkled with cottage cheese and Mozzarella cheese. Wrap dish in foil
- Bake for 10 mins in the foil, then remove and bake for another 5 minutes until the cheese has completely melted and the sauce on top of the dish has bubbled.
- Set aside tool slightly then slice and serve